Damaged Passport Replacement Instructions
Significantly damaged passports are not valid and can no longer be used for international travel. Passports cannot have significant tears, page separation, holes, or be materially altered in physical appearance or composition.
Purchase a Replacement Passport on PassportCenter.com
Select the service that best meets your travel needs and purchase your expedited passport replacement.
Complete Passport Wizard
Once you’ve made your purchase you will then be redirected to the govWorks secure platform where you will create an account and complete the passport replacement application using our intuitive wizard.
Gather Required Items
After you complete the online wizard our govWorks platform will generate an application containing all the necessary information you need to mail to our processing center. It’s very important that you print the documents single sided as double sided copies will not be accepted.
Checklist of Requirements:
- DS-11 application: This application will be automatically generated from our platform.
- Mutilated/Damaged Passport
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship: See list of examples
- Proof of Identity: See list of examples
- Proof of Travel: A travel itinerary or business letter that indicates that you are traveling within 2 weeks (or 4 weeks if you need a travel visa). If you have not made travel plans and don’t have a proof of itinerary, don’t worry, we can help you obtain an alternative document.
- Passport Photo: See sample picture
- Government Fee: An additional check or money order payable to "US Department of State” is required for all orders. The exact amount can vary from $140 to $170 depending on the type of passport application. Once you place your order, the platform will instruct you on the exact amount of the check and how to write it out.
- Letter of Authorization: We will provide you with a Letter of Authorization which allows us to process your passport on your behalf. You must sign and date two copies of this document, preferably using blue ink, and include one of them inside of the sealed envelope and the other outside of the sealed envelope before you send us your documents.
- A signed statement explaining the damaged or mutilated condition of your passport.
Visit a Passport Acceptance Agent
After completing your passport application and collecting all the items from the checklist you must take it to a Passport Acceptance Agent (AA), who will review it and witness your signature. Passport Acceptance Agents are very common and easy to find in your area, they are usually located at US Post Offices or Courthouses.Find an Acceptance Agent
Inform the Acceptance Agent that you are using an expediting service to "Hand Carry" your passport application to the government for processing.
The AA will then:
- Ask you to sign the DS-11 Form.
- Add his/her signature to the DS-11.
- Check your ID.
- The agent will collect all of your supporting documents and seal them into an envelope with the signed DS-11 Form using an official seal or stamp.
Important: Make sure the (AA) returns the sealed envelope to you so that you can mail it directly to PassportCenter. Send the sealed envelope to PassportCenter as soon as it is sealed. The seal on the envelope expires after four business days.
Ship us your passport application package using FedEx
- Please contact your assigned Customer Satisfaction Representative to quickly go over your documents before you ship them to us and to get your pre-paid Fedex shipping label.
- Write your first and last name, date of birth, and date of departure on the sealed envelope.
- Place the sealed envelope in a FedEx envelope or box.
- The second copies of your supporting documents and DS-11 form should be placed in the FedEx box/envelope alongside (but separate from) the sealed envelope. This allows us to review everything for accuracy before delivering your application for processing. Submitting error free documentation will eliminate delays.
- Ship the FedEx envelope to our office using the FedEx airbill provided by PassportCenter.
As soon as your passport is ready, we will pick it up from the government office and immediately FedEx it to you. If you have any questions, feel free to call us anytime at (800) 606-8407.