Damaged Passport Replacement Instructions

Follow these simple steps to replace your Damaged Passport

Significantly damaged passports are not valid and can no longer be used for international travel. Passports cannot have significant tears, page separation, holes, or be materially altered in physical appearance or composition.

  1. Purchase a Replacement Passport on PassportCenter.com

    Select the service that best meets your travel needs and purchase your expedited passport replacement.

  2. Complete Passport Application Form

    govWorks wizard interface on Macbook

    Once you’ve made your purchase you will then be redirected to our secure govWorks.com platform where you will create a password and complete your passport replacement DS-11 application form.

  3. Follow Checklist of Required Items

    Carefully review the list below to ensure that you have all the necessary documents.

    Checklist of Requirements:

    1. DS-11 application.
    2. Mutilated/Damaged Passport
    3. Proof of U.S. Citizenship (click here for list of examples)
    4. Proof of Identity (click here for list of examples)
    5. Proof of Travel (click here for list of examples)
    6. One Passport Picture (click here for a sample picture)
    7. Check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of State" for $170.00 or $200 (for passport book + card). Note: no starter checks - address must be preprinted on check.
    8. Authorization Letter
    9. A signed statement explaining the damaged or mutilated condition of your passport.
  4. Visit a Passport Acceptance Agent

    After completing your passport application and collecting all the items from the checklist you must take it to a Passport Acceptance Agent (AA), who will review it and witness your signature. Passport Acceptance Agents are very common and easy to find in your area, they are usually located at US Post Offices or Courthouses.

    Find an Acceptance Agent

    Inform the Acceptance Agent that you are using an expediting service to "Hand Carry" your passport application to the government for processing.

    The AA will then:

    1. Ask you to sign the DS-11 Form.
    2. Add his/her signature to the DS-11.
    3. Check your ID.
    4. The agent will collect all of your supporting documents and seal them into an envelope with the signed DS-11 Form using an official seal or stamp.

    Important: Make sure the (AA) returns the sealed envelope to you so that you can mail it directly to PassportCenter. Send the sealed envelope to PassportCenter as soon as it is sealed. The seal on the envelope expires after four business days.

  5. Ship us your passport application package using FedEx

    • Write your first and last name, date of birth, and date of departure on the sealed envelope.
    • Place the sealed envelope in a FedEx envelope or box.
    • The second copies of your supporting documents and DS-11 form should be placed in the FedEx box/envelope alongside (but separate from) the sealed envelope. This allows us to review everything for accuracy before delivering your application for processing. Submitting error free documentation will eliminate delays.
    • Ship the FedEx envelope to our office using the FedEx airbill provided by PassportCenter.

    We’ll take it from here.