Name Change Passport Instructions

Follow these simple steps to apply for a Name Change Passport

Passports must always contain an individual’s current legal name. If a person has changed their name due to marriage or for other reasons, they must apply for a Passport Name Change that reflects their new name.

  1. Purchase a Name Change Passport on

    Select the service that best meets your travel needs and purchase your expedited passport name change.

  2. Complete Passport Application Form

    govWorks wizard interface on Macbook

    Once you’ve made your purchase you will then be redirected to our secure platform where you will create a password and complete your passport name change DS-82 application form.

  3. Follow Checklist of Required Items

    Carefully review the list below to ensure that you have all the necessary documents.

    Checklist of Requirements:

    1. DS-82 application.
    2. Current US Passport
    3. Original Court Decree supporting the name change (click here for list of examples)
    4. Proof of Travel (click here for list of examples)
    5. One Passport Picture (click here for list of examples)
    6. Government Fees/Payments; Check payable to "US Department of State" for $170 if applying for a Passport Book Only and $200 if applying for a Passport Book and a Passport Card
    7. Authorization Letter
  4. Ship us your passport application package using FedEx

    • Place your application and supporting documents in a FedEx envelope or box.
    • Please send your application and supporting documents to our office using the FedEx label provided by

    We’ll take it from here.