Name Change Passport Instructions
Passports must always contain an individual’s current legal name. If a person has changed their name due to marriage or for other reasons, they must apply for a Passport Name Change that reflects their new name.
Purchase a Name Change Passport on PassportCenter.com
Select the service that best meets your travel needs and purchase your expedited passport name change.
Complete Passport Wizard
Once you’ve made your purchase you will then be redirected to the govWorks secure platform where you will create an account and complete the passport name change application using our intuitive wizard.
Gather Required Items
After you complete the online wizard our govWorks platform will generate an application containing all the necessary information you need to mail to our processing center. It’s very important that you print the documents single sided as double sided copies will not be accepted.
Checklist of Requirements:
- Passport Application (DS-82): This application will be automatically generated from our platform and needs to be signed using a black or blue pen. Do not use a felt tip pen such as a sharpie.
- Passport Photo: See sample picture
- Old Passport: Your current passport must be included with your documents and it will be returned to you with your new passport. The passport must not be damaged or mutilated.
- Proof of Name Change: List of examples
- Proof of Travel: A travel itinerary or business letter that indicates that you are traveling within 2 weeks (or 4 weeks if you need a travel visa). If you have not made travel plans and don’t have a proof of itinerary, don’t worry, we can help you obtain an alternative document.
- Government Fee: An additional check or money order payable to "US Department of State” is required for all orders. The exact amount can vary from $140 to $170 depending on the type of passport application. Once you place your order, the platform will instruct you on the exact amount of the check and how to write it out.
- Letter of Authorization: We will provide you with a Letter of Authorization which allows us to process your passport on your behalf. You must sign this document.
Ship us your passport application package using FedEx
- Please contact your assigned Customer Satisfaction Representative to quickly go over your documents before you ship them to us and to get your pre-paid Fedex shipping label.
- Place your application and supporting documents in a FedEx envelope.
- Please send your application and supporting documents to our office using the FedEx label provided by PassportCenter.com
As soon as your passport is ready, we will pick it up from the government office and immediately FedEx it to you. If you have any questions, feel free to call us anytime at (800) 606-8407.