Name Change Passport Instructions
Passports must always contain an individual’s current legal name. If a person has changed their name due to marriage or for other reasons, they must apply for a Passport Name Change that reflects their new name.
Purchase a Name Change Passport on PassportCenter.com
Select the service that best meets your travel needs and purchase your expedited passport name change.
Complete Passport Renewal/Name Change Form
Complete and print the online application form DS-82.
- Please print the DS-82 form single-sided.
- Do Not mail this form to the National Passport Center, FedEx to us
- After completing and printing this form, please close the window and return to the passport instructions
Important: If you have a passport that is not valid or is expired you must apply for a name change on a new passport using form DS-11, which must be signed in front of a U.S. Passport Acceptance Agent. Please give us a call at (877) 416-5463 if you have any questions. If you are requesting a name change less than one year after your passport was issued you must use DS-5504.
Follow Checklist of Required Items
Carefully review the list below to ensure that you have all the necessary documents.
- DS-82 application.
- Current US Passport
- Original Court Decree supporting the name change (click here for list of examples)
- Proof of Travel (click here for list of examples)
- One Passport Picture (click here for list of examples)
- Government Fees/Payments; Check payable to "US Department of State" for $170 if applying for a Passport Book Only and $200 if applying for a Passport Book and a Passport Card
- Authorization Letter
Ship us your passport application package using FedEx
- Place your application and supporting documents in a FedEx envelope or box.
- Please send your application and supporting documents to our office using the FedEx label provided by PassportCenter.com
We’ll take it from here.