Passport Card Instructions
A Passport Card is a wallet sized passport, similar to a state driver’s license. It is an easy to carry ID for international travel by land or water to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. It cannot be used for international air travel.
If you already have a U.S. passport book use form DS-82 to apply for a Passport Card.
If you do not have a U.S. passport book you must use form DS-11 to apply for a Passport Card.
Follow these simple steps to apply for a Passport Card
Purchase Passport Card addon on PassportCenter.com
Select the service that best meets your travel needs and purchase your expedited passport card.
Complete Passport Card ApplicationComplete DS-82 FormorComplete DS-11 Form
DS-82 or DS-11 Form
- Please print 2 copies of the completed DS-82 or DS-11 form. (print single-sided)
- Do Not sign the DS-11 form now. It must be signed in front of a Passport Acceptance Agent.
- The DS-82 form can be signed and mailed.
Important: Note: You can use form DS-82 to renew your passport book at the same time you apply for your first passport card.
Follow Checklist of Required Items
Carefully review the list below to ensure that you have all the necessary documents.
- DS-82 application
- Passport Photos (sample picture)
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (list of examples)
- Proof of Identity (list of examples)
- Proof of Travel (list of examples)
- Government Fees/Payments; Check payable to "US Department of State" for $200 if applying for Passport Book and a Passport Card together.
- Authorization Letter
Visit a Passport Acceptance Agent (for DS-11 only)
If you’re applying for a Passport Card with form DS-82, skip step 4.
After completing your DS-11 passport application and collecting all the items from the checklist you must take it to a Passport Acceptance Agent (AA), who will review it and witness your signature. Passport Acceptance Agents are very common and easy to find in your area, they are usually located at US Post Offices or Courthouses.
Inform the Acceptance Agent that you are using an expediting service to "Hand Carry" your passport application to the government for processing.
The AA will then:
- Ask you to sign the DS-11 Form.
- Add his/her signature to the DS-11.
- Check your ID.
- The agent will collect all of your supporting documents and seal them into an envelope with the signed DS-11 Form using an official seal or stamp.
Important: Make sure the (AA) returns the sealed envelope to you so that you can mail it directly to PassportCenter. Send the sealed envelope to PassportCenter as soon as it is sealed. The seal on the envelope expires after four business days.
Ship your Application using FedEx
Shipping instructions for DS-82:
- Please send your application and supporting documents to our office using the FedEx label provided by PassportCenter.com
Shipping instructions for DS-11:
- Write your first and last name, date of birth, and date of departure on the sealed envelope.
- Place the sealed envelope in a FedEx envelope or box.
- The second copies of your supporting documents and DS-11 form should be placed in the FedEx box/envelope alongside (but separate from) the sealed envelope. This allows us to review everything for accuracy before delivering your application for processing. Submitting error free documentation will eliminate delays.
- Ship the FedEx envelope to our office using the FedEx airbill provided by PassportCenter.
We’ll take it from here.