As a govWorks user, you are in control of all your Passport and Visa orders. We know you want to remain in control of your personal information as well. As a pioneer in online travel document services, we realize that earning and retaining your trust is of paramount importance, and it's a responsibility we take very seriously.
- What personal information we collect from you and how we use it
- What safeguards we have in place to protect your personal information
- Other information you should know about your privacy
From time to time we may add or enhance services available on our websites. To the extent that these services are provided for and used by you, we will use the information you submit to facilitate the service requested. For example, if you email us with a question, we will use your email address, name, nature of the question, etc. to respond to your question. We may also store such information to assist us in making the site the better and easier to use.
We display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our site in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at email@example.com.
What we do NOT do: a warning about "phishing." Identity theft and the practice currently known as "phishing" are of great concern to us. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is our priority. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission at https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/scam-alerts.
This privacy notice also details choices available to you regarding the use of, your access to, and how to update and correct your personal information.
What information do we collect?
As part of providing products and services to you, we may collect information, including personal information, about you, your spouse, your dependents, or your business when you use our services.
Personal information is data that can be used to identify you, your spouse, or your dependents individually. The information we may collect includes, but is not limited to:
- Contact Information (e.g., name, phone number, address, and email address);
- Social Security number and other government identification numbers (e.g., EIN, Driver’s License Number and ITIN);
- Date of Birth;
- Financial Information (e.g., income, revenue, assets, credits, deductions, expenses, and bank account information);
- Payment Data (e.g., checking, debit and credit card account numbers, balances and payment history);
- Health Information (e.g., health insurance status and financial information related to payment for healthcare services);
- Geo-Location Information;
- Website, Mobile Application, and Email Usage Data;
- Device Information (e.g., internet protocol (IP) address, device type, unique identifier, app version, operating system, network data, and phone state);
- Login Information; and
- Demographic Information.
Where do we get this information?
As part of providing products and services to you, we may collect information, including personal information, about you, your spouse, your dependents, or your business when you use our services.
You provide most of the information we collect. We also receive information through certain digital technologies when you interact with us. Finally, other companies and government entities may share information with us.
We collect information directly from you. To deliver the products and services you request, customize your experience, and better serve you, we collect information you voluntarily provide as part of using or requesting our products and services. This information includes information you provide, setting up an online account, authenticating your identity, applying for or purchasing a product or service, or applying for employment. It also includes information from documents you choose to upload to your account. If you choose not to provide certain information we request, we may be unable to serve you as our products, services, tools or calculators may rely upon this information.
Our websites may offer publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information (e.g., name and city) from our blog or community forum, you can contact us. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why. We collect information when you use our services.
We collect certain information and usage data whenever you interact with us, whether online, through a mobile application, or through an email. This data may include which websites you visit, what you click on, and when you performed those actions. These activities may be performed by us or a service provider acting on our behalf.
We utilize certain web and wireless technologies to collect this information. These technologies include cookies and web beacons. Please see "What types of web and wireless technologies (including cookies) do we use?" for an in-depth discussion of these technologies and how to opt-out.
We collect information from other companies and government entities. In accordance with their privacy notices, our business partners, and unrelated third-parties may share certain information about you with us.
We also collect information when you request services or information from us or companies with whom we have a business relationship, enter contests or sweepstakes, or complete surveys or polls.
In order to place an order through our websites, you must provide us with certain personal information such as your name, your credit card number and expiration date, credit card billing address, address and telephone number, date of birth and date of travel, email address and the name or names of applicants (if other than yourself). We require this information so that we can process your order and keep you informed of each order status.
If you are placing an order for one or more applicants other than yourself, you will need to make sure that each of these other applicant agrees, in advance, that you may disclose their personal information to us. For your convenience, we make certain information about your order available to you or other persons authorized by you to receive such information.
For example, if you forget your order number, you or another person authorized by you may retrieve that information from us after providing sufficient information that either a) confirms your identity as the applicant, or b) that confirms authorization for you to receive information on behalf of the applicant.
We may however provide your personal information to companies that provide services to help us with our business activities processing your order or offering customer service. These companies are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
Here is a specific description of how we use your information:
- Applicant's Name: to identify the passport or visa applicant
- Applicant's Address: to return the completed passport or visa to the applicant
- Date of Birth: to check the status of the application with the Department of State
- Phone Numbers: to contact the applicant for customer service purposes, if necessary
- Credit Card Numbers: to charge the fees for our services
- Company Name: to be included as part of the return shipping address for passport
- Travel Plans: to prioritize the processing of applications by the Department of State
- Information on passports, marriage certificates or any other original documents you send to us will not be kept by http://www.govworks.com. All documents are returned to the applicant with the completed passport or visa.
- Passport Number, SSN, and Birth Place are used to complete forms submitted to the government and for no other purpose
How do we use your information?
We use your information to provide you the products and services you request. We may also use your information, as permitted by law, including: to service and report on your account; offer you relevant information, products, or services; and enhance our products and services. These activities may be performed by us or a service provider acting on our behalf.
- Offer you products and services. We may use your information to contact you about products and services offered by us. This may include delivery of newsletters or publications.
- Geo-Location Uses. We may use your location to provide you a list of nearby govWorks offices, assess the level of interest in our services in a particular area, and enhance the services we are providing you and other clients. You may at any time revoke our collection of this information by turning this off at the device level and not using our office locator.
- Mobile Devices. Subject to your control, our mobile services may request permission to dial a phone number, access your camera or photo library, access the internet, access your calendar, send you push notifications, wake/lock your mobile device, or authorize in-app purchases.
- We may use your information to set up an online account or authenticate your identity. We may use your email address as your online username.
- Security Enhancements. We may use your information to improve the security of our services, protect your identity, and protect your information.
- Unique Identifiers. We may assign you a unique identifier when you use our services. This unique identifier allows us to match information collected through our other various products and services. Generally, we use this information to help us better understand your use of our products and services and to customize your experience and better serve you.
- Automated Decision Making. We do not use automated decision making with respect to your information.
- For your company to become a registered Client of govWorks you must provide your company name, address, telephone number, email address, a unique login name, password, and password validation, and a password hint to help you remember your password. This information is collected on the registration form for several reasons including: (i) personal identification; (ii) to process visas and passports; (iii) to allow us to contact you for customer service purposes, if necessary; (iv) to customize the content of our site to meet your specific needs; and (v) to make product improvements to our site. In addition, we need your email address to confirm your new member registration and each order you place on our site.
Who do we share your information with?
The privacy and security of your information is important to us. We do not sell or rent your information (including your social security number). We may share your information to support the products and services you request or provide you information on products and services that may benefit you. We may also share your information as permitted by law or with your additional consent.
- govWorks may provide information to our companies related by common ownership or control. These companies may use this information to support the products and services you request or market additional products and services to you. These activities may include providing customer service, processing transactions, or offering products. If you do not want us to share your personal information with govWorks companies for marketing, contact us.
- Business Partners. We work closely with a variety of business partners that are not govWorks companies (e.g., our bank partners that offer the Refund Transfer product). We may offer products jointly with our business partners. You will be able to recognize when a business partner is associated with your transaction when its logo appears or is shown with our logo. We may share information that is related to such transactions with that business partner.
- Service Providers. We may disclose your personal information to service providers who perform business functions on our behalf, such as data processing and analysis, contest supervision, and direct mail or email production. We may also share your personal information, and a record of any transactions you conduct on our websites or offline with us with a third-party advertising partner and its service providers to deliver advertising tailored to your interests when you visit certain other websites. Data shared in this way is made pseudonymous. We require all service providers to have written contracts with us that specify appropriate use of your personal information, require them to safeguard your personal information, and prohibit them from making unauthorized or unlawful use of your personal information.
- Marketing Arrangements. We may provide information to companies with whom we have a joint marketing arrangement. Pursuant to our vendor management program, we require all joint marketers to have written contracts with us that specify appropriate use of your personal information, require them to safeguard your personal information, and prohibit them from making unauthorized or unlawful use of your personal information. We do not share your personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent or without providing you the opportunity to opt-out of such sharing.
- Franchisees. Certain govWorks products and services are provided via a system of retail offices operated directly by independently owned, third-party franchisees. In order to serve you, we may share your information with these franchisees.
- Persons Who Acquire Our Assets or Business. If we sell or transfer any of our business or assets, certain information about our clients may be a part of that sale or transfer. In the event such sale or transfer results in a material change to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you. The notification procedure will be the same as the procedure we use to notify you of a change to this Privacy Notice as described below.
- Responses to Legal Requests. We may disclose your information when we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is required or permitted by law pursuant to a legal request. This may occur in connection with a court order, legal process, or other judicial, administrative or investigative proceeding that produces a request for information from us. In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may disclose your information when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect your rights and safety, the rights and safety of others, or our rights and safety. We may disclose your information to proper federal, state, or local officials in order to, and only to the extent necessary, inform the official of activities that may constitute, or may have constituted, a violation of any criminal law or to assist the official in investigating or prosecuting a violation of criminal law. As permitted by law, we may disclose your information to the IRS and Information Sharing and Analysis Centers (ISACs) for the prevention of stolen identity refund fraud (SIRF) and as related to potential cyber security threats.
- Aggregate Data. We may disclose aggregate information compiled using information that does not identify you individually or personally. This may include, for example, the total number of visitors from a particular state or the average user age.
- When browsing our websites, you are not required to provide any personal information unless and until you choose to place an order for a passport as described below. We do not knowingly permit the site to be used by any person under the age of 13.
- In certain situations, govWorks may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. govWorks may disclose information if required to do so by law, court order, bankruptcy proceedings or similar legal process, U.S. government or law enforcement authority, rights or properties of govWorks or its affiliated companies or when we have reason to believe that disclosing the information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing interference with our rights or properties, whether intentionally or otherwise, or when anyone else could be harmed by such activities. In addition, if govWorks or substantially all of its assets are acquired, our customer information will most likely also be transferred in connection with such acquisition. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
What types of web and wireless technologies (including cookies) do we use?
We, and our service providers, use commonly-used technologies, such as cookies, to remember you and to personalize your experience with features and advertisements. We, and our service providers, use these technologies to help us know your usage patterns, track your preferences, and analyze how you use our services. We may receive reports on an individual or aggregate basis based on these technologies. You may opt-out of some of these technologies.
- Local Storage (HTML5). We and third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our website or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity use HTML5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5.
- Clear GIFs or Web Beacons. We employ a software technology called clear gifs (also known as pixel tags or web beacons), that help us better manage content on our websites by allowing us to understand usage patterns, fix issues, and improve the products and services offered to you on our websites. We may use clear gifs in our emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. These activities may be performed by us or a service provider acting on our behalf.
- Log Files. Like most websites, we use log files. Information collected in log files may include IP addresses, unique device IDs, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We utilize this information to analyze trends, administer the site or mobile application, track user's movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. When you use certain online services, IP addresses and unique device IDs may be tied to personal information to enable users to use our sites.
- As is true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
- We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the site, to track users' movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole.
- We do not link this automatically-collected data to personal information.
- Online Behavioral Advertising. We allow third-party companies to serve ads and collect certain pseudonymous information when you visit our websites. These companies may use this information (e.g., click stream information, browser information, time and date, device ID, geo-location, IP address, or subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over), during your visits to our websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you, and to enhance your consumer experience across the different devices that you use. These companies typically use a cookie or third-party web beacon to collect this information. We may engage different providers to provide similar services from time to time. To opt-out of this type of advertising, call us.
- Mobile Device Information. We may record data from your mobile device such as Apple IDFA, general characteristics of your device and other device IDs.
- Mobile Analytics. We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our mobile software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personal information you submit within the mobile application.
How do we respond to web browser “do not track” signals?
We treat the data of everyone who comes to our websites in accordance with this Privacy Notice, whatever their "do not track" setting. While we do not respond to web browser "do not track" signals, we give you choices about receiving promotional offers from us or third-parties. You can exercise your choices as described in this Privacy Notice.
How do we secure your information?
The security of your personal information is important to us. We utilize administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your information. If you have any questions about the security of our services, you can contact us.
We protect information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. Nevertheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable law and federal standards and that are designed to restrict access to your information. These safeguards include programs and specifications for physical security and records retention and disposal; computer and communication security measures reflected in system design, password protection, and data management practices; and other measures to restrict access to the data we hold in physical and electronic forms.
If we collect sensitive information (such as your social security number), we will encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
If we share your information with our service providers, we require all service providers to have written contracts that specify appropriate use of your personal information, require them to safeguard your personal information, and prohibit them from making unauthorized or unlawful use of your personal information.
All personal information you provide to govWorks is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that lets your browser automatically encrypt, or scramble, data before you send it to us. We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long do we keep your information?
In accordance with applicable laws, we keep your information for as long as needed to serve you, maintain your account, as needed to operate our business, or to improve our offerings or develop new ones.
We retain your information (including geo-location data) for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We may retain or use your information as necessary to comply with our policies, legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
For more information, please see the "Updating or deleting your information" section of this Privacy Notice.
Third-party products and services, including social media features
This Privacy Notice does not apply to products or services offered by third-parties on or through our services (such as bank partners who offer Refund Transfers). You will be able to recognize when a business partner is associated with your transaction when its logo appears or is shown with our logo. You should carefully read the privacy notices and any terms and conditions applicable to such third-party products or services. When you request products or services from such companies, you give us permission to provide these third-parties with information about you necessary to fulfill or process your request.
Our services may contain links to third-party websites or offers for services from third-parties. This Privacy Notice does not apply to these products or services. You should carefully read the privacy notices of the third-parties providing such products or services and any terms and conditions applicable to such products or services.
Your use of social media features may use scripting or may require us to share your IP address and which page you are visiting to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third-party or hosted directly on our site, and your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy notice of the company providing it.
Examples of these features are the Facebook "Like" button, the "Share This" button, and interactive mini-programs that run on our services. Our website includes Social Media Features, such as the Facebook Like button, and Widgets, such as the Share This button or interactive mini-programs that run on our website. These Features may collect your Internet protocol address, which page you are visiting on our website, and may set a cookie to enable the Feature to function properly. Social Media Features and Widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our website. Your interactions with these Features are governed by the privacy statement of the company providing it.
Updating or deleting your information
You may update your information by calling (800) 963-7000. After proper identity verification, we will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. If you are a user of our online platform, you may access your personal information through those services and, where available, update that information. The types of information that you can access and update may change over time. Remember, some of the information we collect does not identify you personally or is not stored in an online accessible format.
When you update or delete your information, we may maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records. Additionally, if you request we permanently delete your account or information, we may still retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
If an unauthorized profile has been created about you, please contact us at (800) 963-7000 to request to have it deleted. We will respond to requests within a reasonable timeframe.
The profile you create on our Community page will be publicly accessible unless otherwise indicated. You may change the privacy settings of your profile through your account portal. If you have become a member of our Community page and would like to request deletion or deactivation of your profile.
Upon request govWorks will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. For the purpose of correcting, deleting and/or updating your company or personal information you could contact us via email email@example.com. We will respond to your request to access within a reasonable timeframe.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
You may choose to limit our use or our ability to share your information in certain circumstances. Our ability to offer you certain products and services and your experience may be affected by your choice. To opt out of electronic communications call us at (800) 963-7000. You may, however, continue to receive e-mail communications related directly to the services and products you purchase, such as payment receipts and status notifications.
Where permitted by law, we may use your information (subject to your consent, where required) to communicate with you about products and services available through govWorks or third-parties. At your request and subject to the limitations below, we will make reasonable efforts to limit all such marketing communications to you. We will also provide you the ability to stop receiving marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in each marketing communication. We will respond to requests within a reasonable timeframe.
You may not opt-out of the sharing of information that does not identify you personally. The above paragraphs only apply to personal information we obtain through your use of our services covered by this Privacy Notice. You may still receive offers from us, other govWorks companies, or govWorks independently owned, third-party franchisees where they obtain your contact information through other sources. In order to opt-out from communications from our franchisees, you must contact each franchisee in accordance with their policies.
Please see "What types of web and wireless technologies (including cookies) do we use?" for information on how to opt-out of various web and wireless technologies we use.